Property Away From The Premises Or On Loan to The University

The University's standard Property Damage cover is subject to a £50,000 excess which means the Insurers will only become involved where any one claim exceeds this amount.

However, Property Damage cover with a £1,000 excess can be arrange in the following circumstances:

  • University property which is being removed from University premises and is being used by University personnel for business purposes
  • Property on loan to the University where the conditions of the loan require a lower excess

In addition to the £1,000 excess, cover is subject to the item being kept secure and out of sight when not in use, for example, in a locked boot if being transported in a motor vehicle.

There are some items that this cover would not be arrange for:  

  • Computer equipment away from the premises. Separate insurance is in place for this, subject to a £100 excess
  • Items being sent for repair. Cover can be arranged for the item whist in transit but the item should be insured by the repairer whilst in their possession.
  • Items being lent to external parties. The item should be insured by the receiving party.

To arrange this cover, please email with the following information:

  • Details of equipment/goods
  • Replacement value of items including VAT
  • Inclusive cover dates
  • Financial project number 

Depending on the nature and value of the equipment, a charge may be made. Also, requests may need to be referred to the Insurers so please allow 5 workings days for a response.