‌Q - How do I report an accident, incident, dangerous occurrence or near miss?

A - You can report any of the above by filling in an Incident Report Form

Q - How can I get first-aid or manual handling training?

A - Requests for first-aid or manual handling training must be made by your unit. Your supervisor or line manager should email: safety@glasgow.ac.uk giving information about the name(s) and numbers of people that they wish to have trained and the name and contact details of who will be co-ordinating and authorising the training. In due course the co-ordinator will be contacted with details about the next available course. An internal order form will be supplied. The co-ordinator should complete this form and have it signed by the purchase and budget authorisers then return it to SEPS. The appropriate number of places will then be reserved on the course. If the form has been completed and returned the full cost of the course will be charged to the budget WHETHER OR NOT the individual(s) attend the training, unless it is possible to find a substitute from an alternative unit who can use the training place.

If the training date offered is not suitable the co-ordinator should notify SEPS and an offer of a place on the subsequent course will be made.

For further information about first-aid training see the SEPS leaflet First-aid Training Courses First aid training

Q - How many first-aiders do we need?

A - It is not possible to indicate precise ratios of first-aiders to employees that can be applied in all cases. Heads of unit should therefore decide numbers required and their most appropriate location based on the activities normally carried out. As a first step they should consider the hazards that are associated with activities undertaken in their units. Following this an assessment of the risk that relates to each hazard should allow decisions to be taken as to the nature and extent of first-aid provision that is necessary. A unit undertaking high risk activities (such as diving, fieldwork, workshop activities etc.) will require a higher level of first-aid provision than one in which there are very few hazards (e.g. where the work is largely office based). In some units it may be appropriate to have some first-aiders trained in additional techniques and responses that are appropriate to specific hazards that may be present in the area or associated with the work. (e.g. fieldwork)  Small units that are geographically close and where the work is comparatively non-hazardous may choose to share a first-aider.

As a minimum each unit must nominate a person who will be responsible for the checking and replenishing of first-aid boxes on a regular basis and maintaining and updating first-aid signs and notices.
For further information on the University's duty regarding the provision of first-aid see the guidance on SEPS main webpages under Accident and Emergency.

Q - I need a computer workstation assessment, will someone come and do it for me?

A - The University Court has determined that the duty to carry out the risk assessment for any work activity rests with the unit. Heads of unit may delegate this duty to members of staff but must ensure that they have been given sufficient guidance and training to enable them to perform the assessment competently. The SEPS leaflet "A Step–by-step Guide to Assessment of Display Screen Equipment" (DSE), together with the additional material contained in the SEPS booklet "Safe Use of Computers", should equip most individuals to undertake a competent assessment. The unit should ensure that computer users are given sufficient guidance and training to enable them to carry out minor alterations or adjustments to the workstation. However, the appropriate unit supervisor or manager should be notified of any major alterations to allow a judgement to be made on the likely need for a review of the risk assessment.

Q - I work with computers. Am I entitled to an eyesight test and to glasses bought by my School?

A - Although using computers does not cause damage to the eyes existing defects in eyesight can lead to other symptoms such as stress and musculoskeletal problems. For this reason, it is recommended that all new and existing computer users have an eyesight test at regular intervals. Suitable eyesight tests can be obtained free of charge from your optician.  If an eyesight test reveals that a member of staff requires spectacles specifically for computer work the cost of the lenses (excluding any tinting/coating) and basic frames has to be met by the Unit in which the member of staff is employed.  (This applies only where the staff member uses a computer as a significant element of their job AND the glasses are needed specifically and only because of this computer use.)

Q - I have a young person coming to work with me, what should I do?

A - If the person is under 18 years of age you must take account of any special risks that arise from the employment of a young person. This should be done by means of a risk assessment that is carried out PRIOR TO THE YOUNG PERSON BEGINNING WORK (including work experience and training schemes).

You must give consideration to the activities that the young person may carry out, with a view to identifying and controlling any risks to their health and safety. Pay particular attention to those risks that may be as a result of their age, inexperience or other causes. Guidance on the risk factors that particularly affect young persons and on how to record such an assessment is available from the Health and Safety Executive webpage on risks to young workers and from SEPS .

If the young person is under minimum school leaving age (i.e. 16 years) the conclusions from the risk assessment must be brought to the attention of the child's parent or guardian. In this situation HR must be notified that the young person will be working in the University.  This will typically arise where Work Experience pupils are accepted.

Q – The toilets in my working area are out of commission. Can I go home?

A – The University has a responsibility to provide you with toilet facilities that are within a reasonable distance of your working area. This does not necessarily mean that these must be within your own work area or in the building within which you work, although this would normally be the case. From time to time, for example, for reasons of essential maintenance, it may be necessary to close your local toilet. On these occasions the unit (usually in conjunction with Estates & Buildings) should make provision for you to have access to facilities in an adjacent work area or building. Working practices within your unit should be modified, if necessary, to take account of these altered arrangements and to allow individuals adequate and appropriate opportunity to make use of the facilities.

Q – Is there a minimum/maximum working temperature?

A–The law does not state a minimum teperature. Official HSE guidance indicates that the temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16oC or 13oC if much of the work is physical.

Q – I have discovered a fire extinguisher that is damaged/has been used what should I do?

A - You should bring it to the attention of your Area Fire Officer (AFO) (or Deputy). If you do not have an AFO, or if they are unavailable, then you should contact the University Fire Safety Manager who will arrange for replacement or repair.

Q – Where can I find a copy of the Fire Risk Assessment?

A - A copy of the fire risk assessment should be held within the premises fire log along with the fire action plan. Speak to your Area Fire Officer in the first instance or alternatively consult the Fire Safety Manager.

Q – What should I do if I smell burning?

A – If you smell burning you should immediately raise the alarm by activating the nearest break glass point. Evacuate and when at the assembly point you should advise the Area Fire Officer why you activated the alarm and the relevant information can be passed to the Fire and Rescue Service.

If there is no alarm system the alarm can be raised by calling Central Services on 0141-330-4444, who will arrange the appropriate response.

Q – I have found a needle/syringe/body fluid spillage, what should I do?

A – If you work within an area that undertakes work involving the routine handling of biological materials you should contact the staff within your unit who are trained to deal with such incidents.

If your unit does not have suitably trained individuals or equipment, or if the needle/syringe or spillage is in a ‘common’ area, no attempt should be made to clean the contamination or remove items. You should close off the affected site (as far as is practicable) to prevent access by the public and by untrained individuals. You should then contact Cleaning Services. An appropriately trained member of cleaning staff will attend as soon as possible and will deal with the incident. Outwith normal working hours you should contact Central Services Main Gatehouse and Security personnel will activate a pre-arranged ‘call-out’ procedure. Units located within hospitals or those outwith the Gilmorehill and Garscube Campuses should follow arrangements that are in place locally.

Q – I have waste that I need to dispose of. Who should I contact?

A – General, non-hazardous and recyclable waste is managed by Estates & Buildings. You can call Estates and Buildings on 0141-330-6000 to get guidance on this.
Disposal of specialist wastes should be carried out using the appropriate University appointed supplier for that service. Information on disposal for a range of waste types is available on our waste management webpages or email: safety@glasgow.ac.uk